As friends and family members roll into your homes this season, the HealthLinks team hopes you will enjoy some of our tasty holiday favorites. For more recipes, please see the HealthLinks website. To health, happiness and the holidays – Cheers!
Cullen’s Oysters Rockefeller
- Chesapeake Bay oysters – preferably toward the mouth of the bay, where the salinity is higher
- A dash of chipotle Tabasco
- A squeeze of lemon wedge
- A pinch of Cullen’s Collard Greens – cooked with onion/garlic and love
- A piece of crispy bacon;
- Freshly shredded Romano Cheese
Directions: Shuck the oysters, making sure there are no shell remnants and that the oyster is removed from its valve and sits in the “cup” side. In this order: add the “Rockefeller” ingredients to the top of the oyster; dash of chipotle Tabasco; pinch of Cullen’s Collards; strip of crispy bacon; freshly shredded Romano cheese. Place the oyster on an open-fire grill for 90 seconds. Once the goodness is bubbling, remove from the fire, squeeze lemon on top and enjoy!
Mandy’s Sweet Potato Souffle
- 2 cups sugar
- 6-8 sweet potatoes – peeled
- 4 eggs
- 3 sticks margarine
- 4 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
Directions: Mash sweet potatoes, add sugar, eggs, 1 stick margarine, 4 tablespoons flour, 1 tablespoon vanilla and mix well with a mixer. Pour into a greased pan. Mix 4 cups brown sugar, 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour and 2 sticks margarine. Pour over the sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Enjoy!!!
Aunt Marilyn’s Rum Cake
(From Lisa Breslin)
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 package of vanilla pudding – not instant
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of light rum
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ rum
- ¼ cup water
Directions: Grease and flour bundt cake pan. Sprinkle pecans in the bottom of the pan. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over pecans. Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees. Boil glaze ingredients 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over hot cake. Let cake remain in pan for 30 minutes to soak glaze.
Mom’s Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole
(From Brandon Clark)
- 1 lb hot ground sausage (browned and drained on paper towels)
- 1 Uncle Ben’s Long Grain Wild Rice, Original Recipe (prepared)
- 8 – 10 oz. sour cream
Directions: Mix everything and put it in a casserole dish. Bake 350 degrees, 35-45 minutes.